Clubhouse Interview: Tony Smeeth, Alum
- Tell us a little bit about yourself.
- How did you get introduced to rugby?
- What was the day in the life of a rugby player in 1985?
- Who were the main competitors in the Redmond High School league?
- Who were the key players that helped grow rugby during your time with Seattle Rugby Club and Old Puget Sound Beach?
- Do you recall rivals, respected players, games, or opponents?
- What is your involvement with rugby now?
- What are the most valuable things you've learned from playing rugby?
Tony shares his stories of playing and coaching in the '80s and '90s, from the beautiful summer days and vibrant 7s scene to the crowds at Greenlake and travel to British Columbia for 15s. Hear about the players, rivalries, and friendships between Seattle Rugby Club and Old Puget Sound Beach. Tony also helped build the strong youth rugby programs and tradition in the PNW and was involved with starting the U19s at the national level. And after his tenure with Seattle Rugby, he carried what he learned about coaching back across the pond and paired it with his knowledge of the game as he continues to coach in Ireland.
About the Seattle Rugby Club
Established in 1966, Seattle Rugby Club (formerly known as Seattle OPSB and Seattle Saracens) is an adult rugby union club focused on the fifteens code of the global game. Seattle Rugby proudly promotes the sport of rugby in North America both on and off the pitch through community-focused efforts as well as performing on game day. The club provides opportunities for men, women, and young people to engage with rugby at all levels.